Email: Outlook 2013/2010 – Leaving Messages on the Server
If you are using several devices to access your email you will need to ensure emails are not deleted by your PC if you want them to be accessible on a smartphone, tablet or other computer. Follow the steps below to configure Outlook 2010 to not delete emails immediately.
NOTE: The screenshots shown are from Outlook 2010, however the steps and information are the same for both Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2010
- Open Outlook.
- Select File, then Info.
- Click Account Settings.
- Select the email account you are using on multiple devices then click Change.
- Click More Settings….
- Click Advanced.
- Under the heading Delivery tick Leave a copy of messages on server.
- Tick Remove from server after X day(s). We recommend changing this to between 10 and 30 days, to ensure there is time for other devices to access the email.
NOTE: This must be selected. Your email box will become slow and may reject inbound email if email is never deleted.
- Tick Remove from server when deleted from “Deleted Items”.
- Click OK then Next > and Finish. Your account is now configured to leave email on the server and delete it when you empty your “Deleted Items” folder in Outlook